Here's what we had for dinner - it's a good down-home recipe that I've been making for years. It goes together really quickly, then bakes in the oven for about an hour. It's a simple dish, but really tasty.
Sausage-Apple-Sweet Potato Bake
1 pound bulk sausage
2 medium raw sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced
3 medium apples, peeled and sliced
2 T. sugar
1 T. flour
¼ tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. salt (optional)
½ c. water
1. Brown the sausage in a skillet, breaking up large pieces. Drain off any fat.
2. Combine the sausage with sliced sweet potatoes and apples. Arrange in a 2-quart casserole dish.
3. Whisk together the sugar, flour, cinnamon, salt, and water. Pour over the sausage mixture in the casserole dish.
4. Cover and bake at 375º for one hour, or until potatoes and apples are tender.
- I sometimes only use 1/2 pound of sausage, and it still tastes great.
- This time, I sliced the sweet potatoes and apples with a food processor, and they turned out pretty thin, which makes them cook more quickly. I usually slice them by hand into thicker slices. Either way works just fine. Just check the casserole after an hour of cooking - it may need a little longer in the oven.