|5-1/2" x 8-1/2", ink and watercolor|
Applesauce and flaxseed meal make this cake extra moist and delicious. A generous dollop of sweetened whipped cream on top is optional (but highly recommended!)
½ C. sugar
½ C. applesauce
2 T. canola oil
2 large eggs
1 C. molasses
1-1/2 C. flour
½ C. flaxseed meal
½ C. toasted wheat germ
2 tsp. baking soda
½ to 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
½ to 1 tsp. ground cloves
½ to 1 tsp. ground ginger
¼ tsp. salt
1 C. hot water
Whipped cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350º.
2. Combine first 3 ingredients in a large mixing bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 1 minute).
3. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in molasses.
4. Combine flour and next 7 ingredients (through salt) in a large bowl. Add flour mixture and 1 cup hot water alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour.
5. Spoon batter into a 9” x 13” baking pan coated with cooking spray. Bake 30 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan.
6. Top pieces of cake with sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
- To make this recipe gluten free, I replaced the regular wheat flour with Jules Gluten Free Flour. For the 1//2 cup of wheat germ, I substituted 1/4 cup of flaxseed meal + 1/4 cup Jules GF flour.
- The spice amounts are flexible in this recipe. I used 1 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. cloves, and 1 tsp. ginger.
- This recipe was originally published in Cooking Light magazine in 2007.